Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Garden of "We Been"

This blog is in honor of all the Knicks and Rangers fans out there. First and foremost, congratulations for making the playoffs again at the same time (for the first time since ’96 I believe). When the Knicks and Rangers are both in it, it’s common for the dual fan to dream of the glory days of 1994, when the Knicks were the NBA runner-up, and the Rangers captured the Stanley Cup. I've listened to fans talk of these glory days countless times over the past 15 years. And with good reason, as the Knicks have been a non-factor in the 2000's, while the Rangers have made playoffs but have been decidedly mediocre. Hence the title of this blog, The Garden of "We Been".
Rangers captain Mark Messier receives the Stanley Cup in 1994.
Let me first clarify my position. I absolutely HATE the Rangers. I am a Devils fan, and I dislike the Rangers almost as much as any rival of a team for which I root. I’d like to see a quick exit for them. The Knicks, well, I’ve never really had a “team” for the NBA, but I’ve always kind of pulled for the Knicks. I was on board in the 90’s with the Ewing, Starks, Oakley, Smith teams. I’ve dabbled in pulling for other teams while the Knicks sucked.

What could have been....We all remember that shooting performance from Starks in Game 6.
I’m compelled to write this blog out of respect for the New York sports scene, as they have 2 major sports teams now “in the mix” for a championship. I’ve heard fans all week talk about ’94, about the glory days. This year, however, does not have much in common. Neither team has much of a shot to make any noise, which is just me being honest.
New York Rangers
Admittedly, I only know as much about the Rangers as Boomer Esiason talks about on the FAN. I know that they have had an “up-and-down” season. I know that they are young. I know that Gaborik has been a disappointment due to his play, and that Drury has been a disappointment due to being banged up a lot of the year. I know that Lundqvist is a gold-medal winner who is an above average goalie. Many teams would like to have him between the pipes.
Lundqvist might not have championship glory in NYC, but he knows what it takes to "win the whole thing."
I also know that their coach has been a mess in the media. He has handled questions at times with the tact of a 5-year old. He does not like to talk when they lose – which, in a weird way, I kind of respect. He gets pissed when they lose and don’t play well. I get it. However, when you are on the hook for how the team is playing (because you’re the coach), you’ve got to answer the bell when they don’t play well. Especially when you look like "The Fonz." Tortorella is a Stanley Cup Champion, but seems to still not have all his stuff together at times.
The Blue Shirts had a key injury to Ryan Callahan (broken foot) that had has set them back, and they are very young overall. The Caps have been in this spot before, as the Conference favorite. They have star power with Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, as well as some experience on the team with Arnott and Poti. They have a 23-year old goalie who has been very solid, but short of spectacular this year.
Hey Rangers. I know a guy who could help nurse Callahan's foot back to health.
The Rangers were 3-1 against the Caps this year, with two “blowout wins” (6-0 and 7-0). But the playoffs are a different story, as the Capitals are showing. Do the Rangers, down 2-0 in the series, have enough to fight back? Madison Square Garden awaits, so fans should still have hope, but they are certainly fighting an uphill battle.
I had to put this blog on rush order since the Rangers lost last night. Don’t worry Rangers fans, I’ve got a spot waiting in my foursome with your name on it. I’ve gotten a few rounds in since the Devils season ended, so I might have a leg up. But I shot a 115 last week, so maybe not.
CAPITALS in 6
New York Knicks
They are a completely different animal than your normal #6 seed. For the first 55 games of the season, they had a different group of players. You might look at this and scratch your head because, they have not been any better (record-wise) since the trade. Meanwhile, their players have flourished in Denver and stand to battle with Oklahoma City in the Western Conference playoffs. So, why should we feel any differently about the Knicks right now?
Wilson Chandler and Kenyon Martin - Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Lakers
Raymond Felton (#20) and Wilson Chanlder (#21) have experienced success with Kenyon Martin in Denver. OK, I thought I could move on without addressing it, but I can't. Look at the stupid face Kenyon Martin is making here. And a green headband? Come on dude. Get a clue. Read a book.
Here’s why…Carmelo has averaged 26.3ppg in his 27 games with the Knicks, proving his worth as one of the league’s great scorers. (Sidebar: Incidentally, thanks to the Knicks, I’ve had “I’m coming home, coming home, tell the world I’m coming home…” on loop in my head for the last 2 months) But the playoffs provide the opportunity for big time players to step up, and the Knicks possess two of those big time players in ‘melo and Stoudemire. They possess another, in Chauncey Billups, who has won a championship by setting the world on fire in the playoffs. They have a head coach who, all things equal, has taken teams to the brink of a championship before. The Garden will be rockin’ with playoff fever, as the Knicks are perceived to have a legitimate shot to pull off the upset.
The playoffs are a time for big players to step up in big spots. Pictured above is the Knicks best shot to have that happen.
There is more than an opportunity for the stars to align for the Knicks. The Celtics are banged up and old, but extremely talented. They have their own “X-factor” in the person of Rajon Rondo, who’s as tough as any player in the league. They have playoff experience and championship pedigree. The Knicks will be up against it, but a competitive series with the Celtics could catalyze the resurgence of basketball in NYC.  
CELTICS IN 6

1 comment:

  1. I'll be pulling hard for the Knicks, despite picking Boston. The Rangers I could care less about.

    ReplyDelete