Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hodge Podge

Expect more blogs moving forward...
Due to a number of external obligations, it's been awhile. Below I will offer an unabated blitz on relevant sports topics over the past few weeks. Short, sweet, and to the point.

"The Tickle Monster"

Is this how you pictured the tickle monster? I'm not certain how many people actually envision who their "Tickle Monster" is, but I'm pretty sure this guy isn't it. Makes you want to full-out yak into a bag.

Sandusk. Jesus H. Christ.  The rundown from witness testimony is absolutely disgusting. This entire case is why people have a hard time dealing with the credibility of defense lawyers. How do you defend something like this and continue to have a clear conscience? I guess there is money to be had, and that is what talks. These proceedings can't be completed soon enough. I hope that this guy goes down hard and that he's removed from society for the rest of his days.


Deal with the Devil

What? You can get a name jersey for $175? F*ck me eh?
I have come to the realization that I tend to root for evil teams. Yanks, Cowboys, MCFC, and the Devils. OK, so I spent an exorbited amount of money on a Devils jersey. I love playoff hockey. I just can't follow the sport too closely during the regular season. I think that playoff hockey takes on a completely different nature than regular season hockey does.  I was pumped when the Devils took out the Rangers in the East, but figured that they were up against it in the finals. You can't undersell the value of a hot goalie in the NHL playoffs. Brodeur was hot. Quick was hotter. That was the difference.

It makes me sad that Parise will likely jump ship to another team, as his talents have outpriced the Newark market. However, it's hard for me to feel like the Devils will not bounce back, as they have been able to sustain success for longer than just about any Metro-area team outside of the Yankees. They went through similar turmoil when Scott Gomez left (although I admit Parise is a better talent than Gomez).


King Crab

"Not one championship, not two, not three, not four..." etc. I would love to know how you reconcile rooting for this guy. I know it's kind of cliche to root against LeBron....But consider me on board. Can't wait to see him lose again.
This Lebron James guy. I just can't root for him. I know the comparisons to Jordan are in the air. And it makes me less likely to pull for him. And I hated Jordan. But I respected him.

I don't have a lot of respect for LBJ. I think he's a tremendously talented player. However, I don't think you'd ever hear Jordan say "I'm taxed by playing the 4" or anything else resembling an excuse. I hate to be a bandwagon "Heat Hater" but I am. I feel that he has made Dwayne Wade into a player that is difficult to root for. 

All Thunder baby, all the way.

Schmo Hitters

These two Mets hurlers have helped the team stay near the top of the standings this year. Let's not get greedy though.

I was all over the Johan Santana no-hitter. Although a Yankee fan, I'm not a Met hater by any means. It makes for a great summer when both teams are good.  What Terry Collins has done with a team of Omar Quintanillas, of Kirk Neuwenhius', of Lucas Dudas' is remarkable.

I think that Johan deserved his no-hitter, as umpire's decisions are part of the game. I wonder how many no hitters were aided by an umpire's call here or there. I bet there are a few. I think the Santana no-hitter is a great story. And I am happy for Mets fans that they got to experience it. But the Dickey appeal? Come on guy!

They would have been better off just taking the high road and moving on. You can't appeal the play that they did. David Wright doesn't ever make that play against BJ Upton.  They appear to be "no hitter" whores, despite their manager's attempts to minimize the appeal.

Dickey has had a phenomenal year. His back-story makes it even more phenomenal.  He will be a NL All-Star at age 37 and that is to be commended. But let's not try to reach for unearned successes. Could you imagine if the appeal is won?

The Mets two "no-hitters" in history would be on a blown call, and on an appeal. That's no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment